"Have I Done Any Good" was taken from the LDS hymnal #223. "Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad? If not, I have failed indeed. Has anyone's burden been lighter today Because I was williing to share? Have the sick and weary been helped on their way? When they needed my help was I there? (vs 1) For the answers see chorus and vs 2.

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Everyone Does Good

We have moved quite a bit these last nine weeks.  When traveling we try to unpack and settle into a place, no matter how short a stay.  Sadly, it has seemed impossible in so small a space and with so many suitcases and bags to unpack, there just wasn't room where we stayed . . . so we have been living out of our suitcases until now.  Often, strangers would offer to help with our luggage.  

There are good people everywhere.

We finally moved into our flat in Gjakova, Kosovo.  It is pretty bare but the landlord promised a new bed for Saturday.   This was my view from bed when I awoke my first morning in the new flat.


Not too bad.  Then I got up and looked out from our 6th floor deck.


We needed to get back to Macedonia to check on a school that the Church was helping to provide an elevator for the disabled students. 


There are 25 to 30 children in this school of 1600 students who are handicapped, but have classes upstairs with the older kids.  The teachers and parents carry them up two flights of stairs for the day where they remain until taken downstairs.  (Below is just the second flight of stairs)


This is the footing/hole where the elevator will be located in an inner courtyard.


Suzana, the principal, was very happy to see us and very hopeful about the 
elevator.  She does a lot of good.


When we are on the road, Kristi will run into a bakery and grab some fresh rolls with cheese and jam for lunch.  Every morning this type of shop is full and by the end of the day it is empty.  These good people make my life easy.


One strange sight I found while looking for more electrical plugs was this set of toys hanging on the wall.
When we got the call to the Albania mission, one of the first things I did was search out the golf clubs in the three countries.  I was shocked that there were none!  So what do I find - toy golf clubs.  Clearly someone has the same hope that I do.  Perhaps somehow it could be a humanitarian project to benefit women and children by getting men out of their way and to a golf course.  (?)


I am surprised by the number of good people who want to have their photo taken with us.
This neighbor lived in Palm Springs for a while.


There is a recycling program in one of the villages we drove through.
Someone is a leader in being good.


On Saturday Maslina was baptized in Skopje.
She is freshly good and surrounded by very good Elders.


Sometimes you forget the good that is really close to you.
Occasionally, I get reminded in a big way.