"Have I Done Any Good" was taken from the LDS hymnal #223. "Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad? If not, I have failed indeed. Has anyone's burden been lighter today Because I was williing to share? Have the sick and weary been helped on their way? When they needed my help was I there? (vs 1) For the answers see chorus and vs 2.

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Leaving Home and MTC (missionary training center) - Week 1

We have been called to the Albania Tirana mission and to live in North Macedonia.
The first thing I googled was to see what golf courses were there.
It turns out that none of the three countries in the mission have a golf course.  Clearly, the Lord knew I needed to concentrate on the task we are sent to do.
Wednesday before departure I played my last game with the Wednesday group.  I will miss their association for a while.  I hope I don't have to start over, learning to swing on my return.


Thursday, Kristi and I were set apart to accomplish humanitarian relief in Kosovo and North Macedonia by our Stake President,  Pres. Todd Victor.  Blessings were pronounced to help with our success.


Friday morning we took our good friends, Don and Yvonne Rogers to visit the open house for the new Red Cliffs Temple in Washington, Utah.  The decor was stunning and very harmonious.


Friday night we finally started to pack for eighteen months.
There was no room for Abby, the cat.  She is sort of a loner and we have left her many times before.  She knew something was a little different because the suitcases had been sitting around empty for some time.
Fortunately for Abby and Kristi, she will be well cared for.


We dropped our RV off at our son Josh's home and he will try to sell it this coming spring.
This is what eighteen months of luggage looks like.
While at the MTC we are borrowing Josh's car because we are staying at a local hotel since there is a large group of senior missionaries this week.  (139 couples headed all over the world).


We first got new badges in Albanian but after a couple of days our North Macedonian language badges showed up.  I am amazed at the efficiency of taking care of 1500 people at the MTC this week.
That top line says "Elder Skidmore"


We were interested to see a new group of incoming missionaries.  Headed all over the world.


The MTC campus us beautiful, efficient and honestly feels like a temple of learning.


Two or three times a week a devotional is held with a visiting authority.


After one devotional we saw the Albanian flag being held up and we found a group of Sisters and Elders who had been at the MTC for nine weeks.  They were flying out the next day to Tirana, Albania.  They were excited to see our badges and let us photo bomb their photo.  We will get to know some of them a lot better once we have our visas for N. Macedonia.


In September 1969, Kristi and I and a good friend from my mission to England, Bea Mander, attended the groundbreaking for the Provo Temple.  It is scheduled to close for demolition after Saturday the 17th of this month.  We felt privileged to attend there one more time and feel the spirit and be taught.


After one week our heads are spinning with information and all the new friends we have made.
It is a very real privilege to be here among such motivated, focused and charitable folks.